11.9.08

In the name of love

 


We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary at the end of July. These past four years life as a newlywed has given me the perspective of getting to know myself through someone's eyes who gives me the same level of love a parent gives child, but by choice rather than blood. I can't wrap my mind around how another human can see me--the good stuff and the flaws--and choose to be in love with all of it, even though that's exactly what I do with him. Marriage has given me the chance to live with someone whom, when we pass a go-kart race track and he hears me say, "oh, I so want to do that" makes a mental note to make that happen for me. To be honest, I'm not sure how much I really meant those words at the time. It was more of a "Of course, I'd never truly want to do that, but it would be kind of cool to be a go-kart racer." Chris tends to take me literally though, so I've learned these past few years.

This may explain why I ended up in go-kart racing school this week--his gift to me for our past 4 years of wedlock. It was a 3 hour drive (on a work night) to near Indianapolis, Indiana to take the course--the closest one Chris could find. This was the real deal. The school was meant for those who are ready to start competitive racing. Me, I knew not the first thing about any of it. Sure, sure I've ridden in my share of rental karts at tourist traps. But, this was something completely different. Open wheel, full throttle racing. Intimidating!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: