6.9.08

Cicadas

I'm wrapping up my blogging for now, but--until the next trip--a few words about cicadas. This year the 17 year cicadas invaded Kentucky, but not so much Lexington. At my parent's house in Lawrenceburg, though, it was cicada mania. The noise they made was deafening. Driving down the interstate, Chris once thought something was wrong with the car, until we realized it as cicadas he was hearing. They're just so freaky and disturbing. Yuck!

Typically, the cicada invasion would be a very stressful thing for me. I owe a big thank you to Brad Duncan for giving me a whole new perspective on the cicada. Through Brad's creativity, I learned to embrace the cicada. Whether it was cicadas invading Memorial Hall, cicadas joining Harrison Ford in a Indiana Jones flick, cicadas chasing me on my scooter, or a cicada becoming my new pet, Brad Duncan did a good thing with his Photoshop skills and taught me that these little bugs are not one-dimensional creatures, but a rare phenomenon to be embraced.

Mr. Duncan, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope I can do the same for you when they return in 2025.

No comments: